How Discounts Work within Your Mobile App
While offering discounts is a great way to incentivize downloads and build a loyal customer base, there are limitations to redeeming these discounts within the app. In this article, we’ll review the types of discounts that can and can not be applied at once to a single purchase.
Discount Stacking Exclusions
Shopify only permits customers to redeem one discount code, to a single order. For example, if you have a 10% off discount you can not use a ‘Free Shipping’ code too. This applies to automatic discounts as well. If you are running an automatic discount on a collection and a 10% off discount is applied on the cart level, when proceeding to checkout an error message will display confirming the automatic discount will not be applied to your order.
- If a user wishes to take advantage of the automatic discount over the one applied at the cart level, they will need to exit out of the checkout and start over.
Discount Stacking Inclusions
While there are limitations with stacking discount codes and automatic discounts. Utilizing Shopify Scripts, you can manipulate the use of these codes, giving your customers the ability to stack promos within the app. The following combinations that can be stacked are:
- Discount Code + Shopify Script
- Example: Free Shipping + Discount Code
- Automatic Discount + Shopify Script
- Example: Free Shipping + Bundling
- Shopify Script + Shopify Script
- Example: Store Promotions + VIP Customer
The types of scripts you can create are:
- Line Item
- Line item scripts affect line items in a cart, they can change prices and grant discounts. This script will run every time that an item is added, removed, or modified in your cart
- This type of script will interact with all shipping modifications, it can change shipping methods and grant discounts on shipping rates. These scripts will run every time your customer accesses the shipping options page at checkout.
- Payment scripts interact with all payment modifications, you can rename, hide and re-order payment gateways. These scripts will run every time your customer accesses the payment methods page at checkout. Please note, payment scripts do not interact with payment gateways that are shown to your customer before checkout, such as Apple Pay.
For more information on creating, Shopify Scripts check out our guide here.
You can find Shopify’s full guide on discount codes here!
Please note, Shopify Scripts is only available to Shopify Plus merchants, to learn more about Shopify Plus please access this link.
Have more questions on stacking discounts or Shopify Scripts, we’re happy to help! Please reach out to us through LiveChat on your dashboard or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!